Monday, August 11, 2008

Stephanie Meyer's Never Said That; and Tonya Hurley's Ghostgirl


AUTHORS & BOOKS

I've got a contest running for four copies of Carolyn Jewel's My Wicked Enemy!

Review of Breaking Dawn by Stephanie Meyer.
"This novel sees Bella coming into her own power and proving that she is more that capable of independent thought and action." (Love Vampires)

Video interview with Stephanie Meyer, who answers readers' questions about Breaking Dawn. "One of the longest things about this last year is that I've been reading all these quotes that people have been attributing to me that I never said." (MTV)

Review of Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley. "Charlotte’s adventure takes readers through her difficult high school days of feeling unseen by her classmates, then becoming invisible through a freak and deadly incident." (Darque Reviews)

I went to Tonya Hurley's website looking for an excerpt of Ghostgirl. I couldn't find it, but it's a very cool site nontheless. The graphics are well worth a visit. What's coincidental is that the working title for a manuscript I've got out right now has "ghost girl" in it.

Nancy Holder blogs about her novel, Son of the Shadows. "Vampires and werewolves hunt in the dark shadows, and it is up to those who have sworn to protect the innocent to hold them in check." (Paranormal Romance)

Here's a list of tips that your lover may be a shape-shifter.
"5. You find heartworm prescriptions all over the house." (Shapeshifter Romance)

Review of Marjorie M. Liu's The Wild Road.
"The heroine wakes up in a hotel room, covered with blood, holding a gun, with no memory of who she is. " (The Good, The Bad, The Unread)



TELEVISION & THE INTERNETS

Okay, you have to check out Carolyn Jean's tribute to one of our favorite television actors, Richard Armitage. (The Trillionth Page)

Patricia Altner has a listing of interesting paranormal websites. (Patricia's Vampire Notes)


MOVIES & DVDS

Interview with "Twilight" director Catherine Hardwicke and author Stephanie Meyer. "At my first event, we were so lucky to scrape together twenty people who would come and listen to someone who had never done a book before. It was actually great, because we could sit and talk and really get into the characters, and I kind of miss those days." (Fear.net)


GRATUITOUS VIDEO OF THE DAY

Here's a new video with some of our fave characters from costume dramas. This video's gonna make me lose all credibility as a cynic.



Unrelated, but I watched "Shakespeare Retold" with Rufus Sewell and Shirley Henderson in "The Taming of the Shrew" and loved it. She's just wonderful and continues Vampire Wire's theme of favorite Scottish actors. And she's been in everything from "Bridget Jones's Diary" to "Harry Potter."

7 comments:

Carolyn Jean said...

Marta, you are way too funny. Yes, that video does not seem very vampirey!!! Except, maybe vampires would like to watch it because there are so many lovely bare necks to bite and tantalizing cravats to remove.

Jane said...

The costume drama video was awesome. I love the song, too. I was surprised to find out that Jason Mraz was the singer.

Kimberly Swan said...

Hi Marta...thanks for the DR mentions! Tonya Hurley's site kept me poking around for quiet a while. lol Oooo...will we get to hear more about YOUR Ghost Girl soon?

Renee said...

Shirley Henderson is awesome! I especially loved her in the Hamish MacBeth series. A few other awesome Scottish actors: John Hannah, James McAvoy, and of course, David Tennant.

Fun blog to check out: http://scottishactors.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the videos!

Marta said...

Carolyn Jean, the GVDs aren't exclusively vampirey, but I try not to have things too schmaltzy. But sometimes a little schmaltz is a good thing.

Jane, yep, that's why I had to post it -- because it was just so good.

Kimberly, I remember that my working title was actually "shadow girl" -- I'd been using ghost girl and a few others.

Renee, I think John Hannah is wonderful and under appreciated! I mentioned him last week and will do a GVD for him. Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.

Marta said...

Also, Renee, I'm a "Dr. Who" fan, but I just can't get my mind around Tennant as Who. David Eccleston spoiled me. Now, I am very fond of Scottish actor John Barrowman in "Torchwood." He uses an American accent on the show, and he spent many years in the U.S., but it's not his natural voice.

Amberkatze said...

Oooo another book to add to my wishlist! Ghostgirl sounds interesting!