Thursday, January 29, 2009

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side; Kitty Norville; and Whatever


AUTHORS & BOOKS

The fabulous ladies at Midnight Moon Cafe interview Shayla Black and have a contest for her latest book, Tempt Me with Darkness. (Contest ends tonight at midnight.) "I was most intrigued by taking a Dark Ages man and bringing him into modern civilization, giving him a modern woman and shoving him into a whole new situation in a world he despised…all while trying to figure out how to break his immortality."

Read a summary and an excerpt from the soon-to-be-released novel by Beth Fantaskey, Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side. "Marrying a vampire definitely doesn’t fit into Jessica Packwood’s senior year “get-a-life” plan. But then a bizarre (and incredibly hot) new exchange student named Lucius Vladescu shows up, claiming that Jessica is a Romanian vampire princess by birth—and he’s her long-lost fiancé." (Houghton Mifflin)

Review of Beth Fantaskey's Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side. "I’ll start by admitting that I picked this book up simply because of the title (and the cover), which are hard to resist, don’t you think? So glad I did!" (The Book Bind) FYI, this is a very nice blog specifically for teen lit, from the very excellent Kepler's Books in Menlo Park.

Review of and contest for Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side. "If you look at the cover, you might assume, as I did, that this book is going to be a fluffy teen vampire romance. Well, you're kinda right. But, this book is more than that. Not only is Jessica a vampire princess, she's not one to be messed with. She can hold her own." (Writers Block Reviews)

Review of Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Norville series and a contest for all six books. "This series is the full package – action, sex, romance, vampires, irony, pop culture, exquisite humor, literary references, music, and a smidge of social commentary – we’re talking a sit-down buffet of juicy morsels between the dust jackets. There aren’t many authors that can pack that much fun into a novel without the end result seeming disjointed or contrived. Vaughn works her magic beautifully." (Pop Culture Zoo)

Kimberly Swan reviews Kelley Armstrong's Men of the Otherworld.
"...a collection of short stories, and while fans may have read many of them as they were shared on the author’s website, it’s wonderful to have them together in one bound book." (Darque Reviews)


MOVIES & DVDS

Review of "Underworld: Rise of the Lycans" starring Michael Sheen and Bill Nighy. "For a bunch of movies essentially predicated on the lizard-brain pleasures of watching werewolves and vampires, like, totally whaling on each other, the Underworld series sure has a lot of complicated backstory." (Decider Madison)



New info is now available about the early summer release, "Blood, the Last Vampire."
"This long in-production adaptation of the popular anime focuses on a vampire named Saya, who is part of covert government agency that hunts and destroys demons in a post-WWII Japan." (Shock Till You Drop)


GRATUITOUS VIDEO OF THE DAY


During the last two weeks, while trying to transfer and debug my newish laptop, I've lost days of work, many emails, and my files are a disaster. I can't find the interviews I plan to post here, and shudder with horror at the thought of trying to organize my life and do my taxes. So forgive me if I revert to old favorites and have a wonderful weekend! An Elizabeth Gaskell story set to bossa nova, baby!

5 comments:

J Kukawa said...

Whenever I hear a Burt Bacharach song I have a slight urge to put on a cocktail dress.


Sending some positive vibes your way re: the laptop file transfer...good luck!

Kristin said...

Hey Marta...funny how I just happen to show up whenever you post an RA vid...oh well! ;)

I just got my copy of Jessica's Guide to Dating yesterday...I won it from a blog...really looking forward to reading it! :)

Sorry about your computer troubles. I can only manage the very basic computer stuff...so I would be freaking out if it were me...hope you get it all figured out with out too much 'shuddering'...good luck! :)

tel said...

Thanks for posting these other vampirey books! I can't wait to get them!

Marta said...

J, I love Burt Bacharach -- actually it's the Hal David lyrics that I love. Burt is seriously schmatzy.

Kirsten, excellent timing! You must be psychic. Either that, or you find them because I'm ALWAYS posting them.

Tel, you're very welcome! Hope you'll subscribe to Vampire Wire.

Dating said...

Thanks for posting these other vampire books! Superb!