Thursday, May 6, 2010

Jess Haines Guest Blogs & Contest for Hunted by the Others


"Hunted by the Others reminded me why I fell in love with the urban fantasy genre in the first place...A paranormal world that sucks you in, characters you actually care about, romantic tension that truly sizzles, and did I mention Royce?"

"Royce - the big, bad yummylicious vampire - is one of the things that kept me reading the story...With lots of funny moments, plenty of action and a bit of a romance, Hunted by the Others is a fun read and I'm definitely going to be reading the next book in this new series."


My guest blogger today is Jess Haines, whose debut Hunted by the Others,  was released this week.  Congratulations, Jess!

Here's her publisher's summary of the first book in the H&W Investigations series:
Shiarra Waynest's detective work was dangerous enough when her client base was strictly mortal. But ailing finances have forced her to accept a lucrative case that could save her firm--if it doesn't kill her first. Shiarra has signed on to work for a high-level mage to recover an ancient artifact owned by one of New York's most powerful vampires.

As soon as Shiarra meets sexy, mesmerizing vamp Alec Royce, she knows her assignment is even more complicated than she thought. With a clandestine anti-Other group trying to recruit her, and magi being eliminated, Shiarra needs back-up and enlists her ex-boyfriend--a werewolf whose non-furry form is disarmingly appealing--and a nerdy mage with surprising talents. But it may not be enough. In a city where the undead roam, magic rules, and even the Others aren't always what they seem, Shiarra has just become the secret weapon in a battle between good and evil--whether she likes it or not. . .
Jess is giving away an autographed copy of Hunted by the Others.  Read to the end of the post for contest rules.  Now, she tackles that question that scholars have pondered since time immemorial, Vampires: Hot or Not?  Welcome, Jess!
*********************************************

Vampires: Hot or Not?

There are many flavors of vampire out there.  Sometimes they are good looking and suave; other times they are ugly and deformed.  You’ve got the classic elegant beast in Dracula, the disgusting monster in Nosferatu, the broody reformer-in-search-of-redemption in Angel, and the sparkly hunk of teenaged angst-on-a-stick that is Edward Cullen.

In addition to their looks, vampires have some of the most interesting blends of strengths and weaknesses of all supernatural creatures.  These attributes vary greatly depending on the myth, legend, book, or TV series you’re watching/studying.  The vampires may be allergic to garlic, silver, sunlight, holy objects or consecrated ground, running water, fire, etc.  They need to periodically consume (human) blood to survive.  As immortal creatures of night and shadow, they frequently seduce their victims using their looks, their charms, or magic powers.  Often they possess unnatural strength, agility, speed, stamina – pardon me, must pause for a moment to fan myself.

One thing I’ve noticed from the reviews I’ve seen for my book, Hunted by the Others,  is that the reviewers are mostly slanted in favor of the vampire in my story, Alec Royce.  Royce is an ancient, elder vampire who rules over a good chunk of real estate on the East coast, including New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey.  He also presents a big problem for my protagonist, Shiarra Waynest, since he’s the one who has the artifact she’s supposed to collect for a mage coven, and he’s not about to make it easy for her to get her hands on it.  As one reviewer put it, “Half the time he is stalking Shia I don’t think even he knew if he wanted to eat her or sleep with her.”  Yet he’s a reader favorite – why is that?  What makes him desirable despite the obvious danger he poses? 

Mine is not the only book where I’ve seen this phenomenon (or experienced it myself).  Now, to stick with the topic at hand—are they hot or not?—we’re going to discuss and study vampires like Bram Stoker’s Dracula:




Angel and Spike from the Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV show:


Louis and Lestat from Interview With The Vampire:



David from The Lost Boys:


Eric from True Blood:



Blade from the Blade Trilogy:




Not to mention Blade’s nemesis, Deacon Frost:

Edward Cullen from the Twilight Saga:



Wow.  While I might have gotten a bit carried away there, I may have made my point.  Those pictures pretty much speak for themselves.

So what do you say, folks?  Vampires – Hot or Not?  You decide!

As a side note, for more delightfully hunky vampires, please visit my new best friend, Vamp Boyz (or, if dudes aren’t your thing, check out Vamp Chix  instead!).  This eye candy has been a public service announcement brought to you by Jess Haines (with a little inspiration from Michele Hauf of Vamp Boyz!).


***********************

Read Chapter One of Hunted By Others.

CONTEST RULES:  Just leave a comment on whether you think vamps are hawt, or if you prefer another paranormal creature or regular human beings.  Or you can leave a comment for Jess.  The contest runs through May 16, and a winner will be selected by random drawing.  Restricted to those in the U.S.



GRATUITOUS VIDEOS OF THE DAY

Wherein we explore the theme, vampires, hot or not? By the way, what is it about vampire fans that they're wild about disco beats?





I apologize for this song. It feels me with despair for modern civilization.





41 comments:

Sandy Jay said...

Vampires are hot and I'm looking forward to meeting a new one. Thanks, Jess. :)

forwhlz at gmail dot com

Deedles said...

Vampires are definitely hot!
djeanq(at)gmail(dot)com

LSUReader said...

Gee--You post THOSE photos and you have to ask? Ummmm....Hot, of course!

SandyG265 said...

Definitely hot.

Barb P said...

Hi Jess & Marta! Vampires are definately hot and I think that they will continue to be. That said, I think shifters are hot, demons and so on, and so on. I love them all. Jess, I can't wait to read Hunted by the Others. I have it on my TBB list. Congrats on the release.

donnas said...

Hi Jess, Congrats on the release and thanks for sharing today. I love vampires and am really looking forward to reading about some new ones.

Roxanne Rhoads said...

vamps have an undying appeal (pun so intended) therefor are very hawt

I have been a vamp fan for along time and don't see that ending when the craze dies down

RoxanneRhoads @ aol. com

van_pham said...

Vampires are hot, but i like shifters more. Looking forward to reading this!

van

Littopandaxpress(at)yahoo(dot)com

icecharm said...

Vampires are hot because they are Bad Boys. Don't we all love the bad boys?

angeleyesak said...

Vampires are def hott!! I've always thought that. They are by far my fav

Marta said...

Hi, everyone! Well, you know my feelings after posting my Ultimate Hawest Vampire list last year.

Angel, you must watch your spelling and punctuation! It's not "def hott!!" The correct spelling is "def hawtt!!!" or "def #$*@ing hawtt!!!" Honestly, I'm appalled at how sloppy the internets have made everyone's grammar.

Karen W. said...

Hell to the yeah vampires are "hawt"! And they're going to get even hotter when Johnny Depp plays Barnabus Collins. Sigh.. :)

Hi, Jess, I have your book on my "wish list"!

heatwave16 said...

Vampires are the ultimate in hotness. Don't forget Selene from the Underworld movies. :)


heatwave96(at)hotmail.com


Jess - the book looks fabulous. Lots of great reviews, and I can't wait to read it.

Anonymous said...

vampires are are the hotttttttttest


blackroze37@yahoo.com

Pamk said...

yep vamps are hot. Seriously flaming hot.

Marianna said...

Hollywood vamps can be mega hawt! But, personally, I am not huge on dead men.

patronus89013 at yahoo dot com

Martha Lawson said...

Oh yeah, they're hot!! I love them!!

I follow on gfc

mlawson17 at hotmail dot com

Jess Haines said...

Howdy everyone, thanks so much for your wonderful, supportive comments! It's especially nice to know I'm not alone in my observation -- vampires are H-A-W-T(!!!1!!elventy!!), period. *g*

Marta, you're totally awesome for hosting this. Thank you again!

-J

CrystalGB said...

Vampires are definitely hot.

Rebecca @ DSB said...

Oh, oh, oh, I so want to read this one. It's going on my pile no matter what. Nice guest post - with very fun pics. I like books that show vamps as both hot AND repulsive too. I think any vamp story should be full of conflict about their dual nature, because it shouldn't be something simple, like falling in love with Brad Pitt. Okay, the vamp may look hot, but he's got some disgusting habits too. I appreciate stories that show both the good and the bad.

tetewa said...

Yes there Hot and my favorites!

Mama Bookworm said...

Vampires are without a doubt HOT!

~Christie
TheFictionEnthusiast @live.com

Zita said...

You know, most descriptions in paranormals are of vampires being quick cool to the touch, unless they've recently fed, which gives them a "blush" of warmth. But never truly hot. Or even hawt. Hmmm.

Debbie F said...

I think vampires are hawt!

dcf_beth at verizon dot net

Linda Henderson said...

Yes, I think vampires are pretty HOT right now. I also like werewolves and shapeshifters. This sounds like a great book, can't wait to read it.

seriousreader at live dot com

Lexie said...

I think some vampires are hot. Like Eric. He's hot. And Spike. And Angel can be hot when he's not being a whiny little girl. And I have a serious love for Stuart Townsend as Lestat...

Though I've become more of a fan of werewolves and shifters lately too...

Lexie
Lexie.Cenni@gmail.com

Yesenia said...

I've always thought of vampires as hot but more so the modern take on vampires whether they are glittery or kinda creepy (or both in some cases) :)

Yesenia, Silly Little Game Called Life

angie said...

Yes I definitely think vampires are hot! I think I've had a thing for them ever since Lost Boys and Interview with a Vampire:)
Thanks for the giveaway!
email bangersis(at)msn(dot)com

Natasha said...

Awesome! I love Vampires!
Vampires are hot, a little too popular as of late, but I still love em! I'm not going to stop reading books on them. hehe

natashajennex(at)gmail(dot)com

Dottie (Tink's Place) said...

Vamps are by far the hottest of the paranormal fantasy creatures there is!! LOL Can't get enough of them.

Dottie :)

K Giardina said...

Congrats on the new release & thanks for the contest! Vampires are absolutely "hawt" although I must say some shifters are edging their way into my heart...
I agree with the post above - Lost Boys did it for me!
kim (dot) giardina (at) gmail (dot) com

JenM said...

I've always thought vampires are hot. I don't know if they are the hottest though. Those shapeshifters are giving the vamps a run for their money.

jen@delux.com

Christa said...

Well, no, I'm not a vampire girl. I prefer humans first & werewolves/shapeshifters second. But, really, humans just about cover it since (in general) they're less likely to go crazy on me, lol.

Thanks for the giveaway.
ambience.of.rain {at} gmail.com

k_sunshine1977 said...

vampires are hot - always have been, and always will! thank you for the contest, i've been dying to read this!

k_sunshine1977@yahoo.com

Jacqueline C. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jacqueline C. said...

I'll always prefer humans but, when it comes to the supernatural, I love me some weres and shapeshifters.

jax1204[at]gmail[dot]com

kalynnick said...

I love vampires but I think weres wolfs and shapeshifters are hotter.

kalynnick AT yahoo DOT com

Alexandra said...

Vampires are hot but I prefer humans :))

d.alexandra2@yahoo.com

layla418 said...

Vampire will forever and always be hot! I can't stop looking at Eric.

tdean30 said...

Hot except sparkly vampires and bill from true blood.

tdlsfm(at)gmail(dot)com

pixie13 said...

Yeah, totally hot. Except if they're sparkly or whiney, angst ridden girly-man vampires. Those kinds, not so much hot.

gevin13{at}gmail{dot}com