Monday, May 24, 2010

A Very Special Contest, Contest, Contest Edition



"This story delivers a real sense of wonder."
Publishers Weekly

"Fabulous heroes, great plotting and wonderful story telling."
All About Romance


Since, I was in the Crazy Place (take a left at overwhelmed, go right on Crises Lane, and follow the curve past Misorganized Manner and it's the house with the broken sofa in front) because my new book came out last week. I need to catch up on all the contests that are complete; pitch the current contests; and announce new contests. In fact, this week there's a contest every day, thanks to the fab folks at Random House, who sent me a mess o' books.

Today's contest is for an advance copy of The Time Weaver by Shana Abé.  This is the hardback edition and the cover is gorgeous, gorgeous in real life.  Read to the bottom of the post for info on how to enter.


Contest for Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assassins book.  I said it was for Web of Deceit, but it should have been for the first in the series, Spider's Bite, which is reported to be totally awesome.  Runs through May 31.

Contest for Stacia Kane's Unholy Ghosts, which has the Mondo Vampire seal of what-a-great-bookness.  It runs through May 31.

Natasha of Bookmark Your Thoughts won one of  Leanna Renee Hieber's Darkly Beautiful books never claimed the prize, so I just sent her an email.  Write back!

Dot (Tink) of Tink's Place won Richard Dansky's Firefly Rain.  I sent Dot an email, but if you see this first write to me

Nancy's Theory of StyleThe contest for my wonderful, funny and romantic new novel, Nancy's Theory of Style, is over and the contest winners are:

LSU Reader

Please email me with your mailing info and tell me if you'd like my novel autographed to you.

I hope those of you who didn't win will please, please buy Nancy's Theory of Style, which is being called "crackalicious" and the "perfect feel-good book for summer" and "laugh-out-loud funny."

The contest for two copies of Linda Howard and Linda Jones's Blood Born are:

Elaine8
Jane

You know the drill!  Congratulations, and send me an email with your mailing address.

The winner of Ransom Stephens's The God Patent is:

Julie Stewart, aka JulStew



OTHER NEWS:  The lovely and amazing Leanna Renee Hieber sent me the cover art for A Midwinter Fantasy, which will be released in October.  I'm pretty sure that LR has cast a spell to the goddess of fab covers, because she always gets them.  I am writhing in jealousy.  (Note to self: do not writhe in jealousy while holding a full cup of hot coffee.)

Welcome back!  My arch nemesis, the evil and diabolical SciFi Guy, aka Doug Knipe, has returned to blogging after an illness.  Yes, I want to defeat him for the sake that is all that is good and right, but I want to do it when he is well, so he can't go whining about an unfair blogger battle.  Let's let Doug recover his health and then we can start harassing him again.


TODAY'S CONTEST

Here's the summary for Shana Abé's The Time Weaver:
Honor Carlisle may have been born into the drákon clan but she’s always felt like a stranger to her kin. It’s an intuition that proves true when she receives a mysterious letter—a letter sent by her future self. Honor learns she is a Time Weaver: a creature with the extraordinary ability to transport herself into the past or future.

But the letter contains a dire warning. If Honor remains in her home at Darkfrith, she is certain to be killed. Fleeing for sanctuary among old friends in Spain, she practices her Weaving and unknowingly draws closer to an even more immediate danger. For on one of her Weaves into the future, Honor encounters the very man she should most avoid: the prince of a rival tribe of drákon.

Drawn to Prince Alexandru of Zaharen, Honor is unable to resist the temptation of Weaving to him again and again across time. As they surrender to a desire that brings the present and future ever closer, they realize they are true soulmates. But they also risk fulfilling a terrible prophecy—for their union is destined to wreak havoc. Now Honor and Sandu must place their trust—and their lives—in each other’s hands, and their faith in a magical love that could restore order to the drákon universe—or destroy it forever.
Visit Shana's website and read an excerpt from her romance fantasy.

Enter the contest here by leaving a comment about time travel stories.  Love 'em, hate 'em, have a favorite?  I'm in the "love 'em" camp, so long as they seem to have internal logic of some sort.  One of my faves is Connie Willis's kinda steampunk, funny To Say Nothing of the Dog. I'm in the "hate 'em" camp with stories where a guy meets a little girl and then goes back when she's a young woman.  That's kind of skeevy. 

The contest runs through June 1 and a winner will be picked at random.  Contest limited to U.S. and Canadian entries because I have to pay the postage and stand around the Post Office.


GRATUITOUS VIDEOS OF THE DAY

Lost concluded its long run last night.  I gave up on it after a few seasons when I decided that the writers were just winging it and then using time travel to throw in backstory (neat trick that), but I remained fond of certain actors and elements.  So the GVD theme is adieu, adieu Lost.










37 comments:

Jackie Uhrmacher said...

I think the only time travel books I've read have been Susan Squires' and I LOVE them. A Twist in Time (or is it Twist in Time? I think it's just Twist...not A...) was flipping hilarious along with being drop dead sexy.

angeleyesak said...

I have not read a time travel book but have seen movies...I like them when they are done right lol

SandyG265 said...

I think the only time travel books I have read are Dragonfly in Amber and Outlander.

Rosie said...

Even after all these years, time travel is still my favorite paranormal. I've tattered my copy of Knight in Shining Armor and Stardust of Yesterday. LOL!!

Kathy Martin said...

I don't read much time travel fiction. My favorite is Bid Time Return by Richard Matheson.

Zita said...

I like the time travel tales, but I must admit I prefer the ones where someone from our time goes to the future or someone from the future comes to our time. I find I am too much of a nit-picky history buff to readily accept the person from our time going back to the past. Well, the past of 150 years or more, anyway. Frankly, with all the immunities we've built up we would probably kill everyone we met if we went back to the middle ages, just like the Conquistadors did in Mexico, and that was from the same era. Also, we would not understand a word unless you are expert in Middle English or speak fluent Latin. In the end, there's just too much belief suspension necessary for me to really enjoy the story, so I avoid them. But, I really enjoyed Linda Howard's Killing Time and Nora Robert's Time and Again duology.

Marta said...

Zita, you are persnickety! In Connie Willis's story about the Plague (wonderful book, but about 250 pages needed to be cut out) the time traveler is a historian who's been trained in the habits, implanted with a language chip, and dressed in authentic clothes. As an archeologist, she can't interfere with the past. It's actually a very painful story.

No one really thinks of this as a time travel story, but I will watch "Groundhog Day" over and over. I like the idea that Bill Murray's character is the one who needs to change, not history.

Vicky said...

Honestly, I don't remember a time where I read a time travel story, at least not a romance. Hmmm. I'll have to do that!!

Sandy Jay said...

I absolutely love time travel books. One that springs to mind right now is Michael Crichton's Timeline.

Steph said...

I enjoy them if they are well written, like everything else. I liked TIme Travelers WIfe - I thought it was a great love story.
MY sister wrote a kid's book Called TIme WIll Tell about a little girl who learns life lessons by traveling back and forth in time. And Touch the Dark was enjoyable.

Yan said...

I agree with Steph and say Time Traveler's Wife was quite exceptional--surprised no one else mentioned it yet. I've only read the book, which I loved and own, and haven't tried the movie yet, which I heard wasn't as great. But I'm curious about Time Weaver and I think the cover is stunning!

YzhaBella (aka Kate) said...

I LOVE time travel stories! There is just so much room for imagination and the "creation" of what we currently deem "the impossible"!

My favorite to date is.....ugh, I can't remember the name! I'm horrible. Anyhow, the gist of the story is that a modern day heroine goes back in time to Medieval Scotland and finds her soul-mate in the form of the typical "chesty beating" testosterone inflicted Highland warrior! Simple plot line with an adventurous love story! Hot hot hot! Loved every minute!

Please enter me for the copy of "Time Weaver" Thank you!

Kate (aka YzhaBella)
mleger0546(at)rogers(dot)com

melanie said...

I like some time travel books as long as they have a Happy ending LOL I loved the master of time series by Brenda Joyce.

arafel1962@yahoo.com

Bethie said...

I like time travel stories. The one that comes to mind is the Time Travelers Wife.

lizzi0915 at aol dot com

van_pham said...

Haven't read a time travel book, but would love to read one.


van

Littopandaxpress(at)yahoo(dot)com

Karen W. said...

I LOVE time travel books since I found the ones by Constance O'Day-Flannery many moons ago and even before that.

Some of my favorites are Constance's books, OUTLANDER, the Jack Finney books, and BID TIME RETURN (the book they based the movie "Somewhere In Time" on).

karenwitkowski AT aol(dot)com

Renee said...

Thank you so much, Marta!

I can't wait to read Nancy's Theory of Style. :-)

heatwave16 said...

Hi Marta!!! The new book looks great, congrats!!! I was just wondering if you ever picked a winner for the Jess Haines contest from 5/2

SaraC said...

I love love love To Say Nothing of the Dog also! I reread it once a year it's that good!

Books and Bane said...

I don't think I have read any time travel books unless you concider The Dark Tower Series time travel (which it is in some ways I suppose).

mountie9 said...

Sawyer pretty -- thanks for the videos : )

and you know you can never keep a Canadian down (well unless he is a habs fan right now)

Get well soon Scify Guy!

Valorie said...

I'm not against time travel books, they're just not my thing.

Natasha said...

yay!! Thanks:))
I'm from Book Mark Your Thoughts! I emailed back a few days ago, did you get it? :)

Christa said...

I love time travel books, as long as they make & keep parameters for themselves. : ) In fact, half the time, it's the parameters I find so very interesting & will convince me to pick up a book in the first place.
Thanks for the contest!

icecharm said...

I love time travel books because I would love to do it myself. I loved the Diana Gabaldon OUTLANDER series.

k_sunshine1977 said...

i've loved the concept of time travel ever since i was a kid (back to the future and bill & ted's excellent adventure are two of my favorite movies of all time). when i started reading romances in high school, i immediately started on the time travel romances. constance o'day-flannery and lynn kurland are a couple of my favorites off the top of my head. i'm hoping they'll make a huge comeback someday like the vampires did....

k_sunshine1977 at yahoo dot com

debbie said...

Time travel is okay, as long as it is done right. I can't stand, though going back in time, and meeting your significant other as a child. That is just too creepy for me.
twoofakind12@yahoo.com

JMarie said...

I love time travesl because it's fun to watch people try to understand their surroundings.

Julie said...

Awesome contest.
I do like time travel stories when they are done well and not creepy or completely out there. Time traveler's wife was too out there. But The Time Machine was pretty neat.
juliecookies(at)gmail.com

Cathie said...

Time travel books/movies can be amazing! Though, when the writer(s) over think it the story hurts my head.
lovemybabysquid@yahoo.com

jellybelly82158 said...

I like some of the time travel stories like Brenda Joyce's Masters of Time series.

I did't care for Time Traveler's wife.

jellybelly82158 at gmail dot com

donnas said...

I havent read a lot of time travel books. But they are great when they are well written and I have really enjoyed them. This one sounds like a keeper, looking forward to it.

bacchus76 at myself dot com

Christine H said...

I haven't read any time travel books either, but I have seen quite a few shows. My husband loves them.
Thanks for the awesome contest!

chirth7@yahoo.com

pixie13 said...

I like Time Travel, though they aren't at the top of my reading list. I think their difficult to do really well.

Kris said...

I like them to a point....the last one I read was Gwyn Cready's newest one "Flirting With Forever" I thought it was good. I really do think no matter what type of book it is it depends on the writer's ability to make it work. Like pixie above me said...they can be difficult to read if you don't pay attention to the story/

ksg_amg(at)yahoo.com

Dot S. said...

I love the concept of a time travel book but I've read few that I find truly enjoyable. Perhaps this is the one to break the evil spell.

salvagin@verizon.net

Andrea I said...

I don't remember reading any time travel books. I know my daughter has Karen Marie Monin's Highlander series for me to read, but I haven't got around to it yet.