Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Soggy Wednesday Ramblings & LOST GIRL



I've already braved (very whinyly, I'll admit) the storm and taken the dogs out. Ah, the smell of wet dogs in the morning! I was happy to find Dark Companion listed on a few blogs as their Waiting on Wednesday reads.

Felicia at Livin' Life Through Books says, "First of all, I LOVE the cover to it. It's so dark, yet really beautiful." Thanks, Felicia!

Her blog is quite fun and I really like the clean, stylish design from the pretty banner to the crimp-edged borders of the insets. It's very stylish and not cluttered like some (okay, my) blogs. Felicia's favorite genres are YA and paranormal, and her favorite series is Lost Girl. Hey, I was going to blog about Lost Girl today!

I agree with Felicia about the cover for my book. I love the photo that my publisher chose. I'm really please by the grove in the photo because many scenes are set in a birch grove. Have you seen the ads for Julia Roberts' upcoming fairytale movie, Mirror, Mirror, which has gorgeous scenes in a birch grove. This film looks beautiful and funny and romantic. I've always loved Julia's smile.



Suzanne at Paranormal Book Fan also selected Dark Companion as her Waiting on Wednesday book. Suzanne says, "I think this sounds really interesting and the cover is amazing." I hope she likes my book.

Suzanne's blogging from Ireland and her YA, paranormal, and urban fantasy site has cool book graphics on the sidebar that make me add to my TBR list. She's having an international 150 Follower Giveaway, so be sure to follow if you'd like a chance to win a gift certificate to the Book Depository. (I don't know how many Americans are familiar with the Book Depository, but they'll ship books for free anywhere in the world.)



LOST GIRL: Okay, I have this series set to record on my DVR, which it should unless someone (The Husband) botches up my recording. So then the show sits in my "recorded shows" file and I will eventually watch one -- and when I do, I always think the show is exciting, gritty, clever, sexy, fun. It's the kind of urban fantasy I really like with kick-assitude and snark.

The world building of light and dark fae and other worldly creatures is interesting and I like the Canadian settings. The cast is a delight, and I especially like crafty and lively Kenzi, played by Ksenia Solo. At first, I thought the male lead, Dyson (Kris Holder-Reid) was a little too Chris Martin whimpyish, but I've completely changed my mind and am totally on Team Dyson.

Here's the summary:
Lost Girl follows supernatural seductress Bo (Anna Silk: Being Erica; Billable Hours), a Succubus who feeds on the sexual energy (sometimes called “Chi”) of humans. Growing up with human parents, Bo has no reason to believe she's anything other than the girl next door – until she drains her boyfriend to death in their first sexual encounter. Once she hits the road, Bo discovers she is one of the Fae, creatures of legend and folklore, who pass as humans while feeding off them secretly, as they have for millennia. Relieved yet horrified to find out that she is not alone, Bo is faced with choosing an allegiance between the Dark and Light Fae clans. Bo decides to take the middle path between the humans and the Fae while embarking on a personal mission to unlock the secrets of her origin.
The show runs on the SyFy Channel in the US. I am resisting the urge to insult the SyFy Channels' stoopid spelling. I feel very mature.


GRATUITOUS VIDEOS OF THE DAY



Kenzi from Lost Girl is one of my favorite new characters. Because when she says things like "Smells like fried bitch," she cracks me up.



3 comments:

Anna said...

Yay for Team Dyson! I have been enjoying Lost Girl too, especially Kenzi and Dyson. Bo on the other had can be a bit annoying.

:)

Marta said...

Hi, Anna! It wasn't till I read the actor's bio that I recognized him from The Tudors. I also very much like the bartender, Trick. Kenzi and Dyson have way more chemistry than Bo and Dyson, but Kenzi's a more interesting character to begin with. I hope they show more of her scamming background and let her speak Russian again.

Roxanne Rhoads said...

I love this show, it's nice to have something different and interesting to watch.

and yes Kenzi totally steals the show