Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Spotlight on Jennifer Estep's BY A THREAD


"A sharp, witty, dark, action packed urban fantasy...Fantastic plot combined with nerve racking tension and taut suspense makes for a exciting fast paced story that will have you wishing for the next one even before you finish the last page.[Full Review}"
Tori, Smexy Books

"This series just keeps getting better and better...I love this series because Gin never fails to kick ass in a major way. [Full Review]"
Sophia, Fiction Vixen

"I can never find any fault in the Elemental Assassin books...5 out of 5 stars. Absolutely perfect. [Full Review]"
Krys, Bibliokunkk


It seems so recently that Jennifer Estep first introduced us to Gin Bianco, the assassin in her Elemental Assassins series, but here we are at book six, By A Thread (February 28). Jennifer's a prolific writer, and she first visited Vampire Wire for a Q&A when her debut novel in the Elemental Assassin series was released, and came back to guest blog.

I always like going into a series when when several books have been written, because I like to read one right after another. (I do the same thing with television shows, and I may not start a show until the fourth or sixth season.) If you're looking for a new urban fantasy series, now's the time to get all the Elemental Assassin books.

Here's a synopsis of the series:
The Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series focuses on Gin Blanco, an assassin codenamed the Spider who can control the elements of Ice and Stone. When she’s not busy killing people and righting wrongs, Gin runs a barbecue restaurant called the Pork Pit in the fictional Southern metropolis of Ashland. The city is also home to giants, dwarves, vampires, and elementals – Air, Fire, Ice, and Stone.
Here's an intro to By A Thread:
Since I destroyed my nemesis Mab Monroe a few weeks ago, all of Ashland’s lowlifes are gunning to make a name for themselves by taking out the lethal Spider—me, Gin Blanco. So I’m leaving behind my beloved barbecue joint and heading south with my baby sister, Bria, to cool my heels in a swanky beach town. Call it a weekend of fun in the sun.
But when a powerful vampire with deadly elemental magic threatens an old friend of Bria’s, it looks like I’ll have to dig my silverstone knives out of my suitcase after all. Complicating matters further is the reappearance of Detective Donovan Caine, my old lover.
Read Jennifer's guest blog at Books and Things, and enter the contest for By A Thread.

Jen's other books in this series are:







To learn more about Jennifer and her books, visit her website.


GRATUITOUS VIDEOS OF THE DAY

Hmm, since we're dealing with an assassin, the theme is death, killers, murder, that stuff.



Okay, I can't find anymore and besides that's a grim theme and it's a nice day so I'm adding GVDs that are more delightful.







6 comments:

Brenna Bliss said...

Looks like a promising read. She's a skinny... but at least she's not blonde. ;p. I think I have been rough on female leads since Milagros, I love "flirting weight" for a character.

I read a lot of super natural themed fiction, and some times it seems like all of the women are meant to look the same.

It isn't that I hate woman with "Aryan" inspired coloring, or even skinny ones, I am just not that girl...
Dark hair, almost black eyes, had people jump right into Spanish without checking first... (I am actually Cajun and know about fifteen Spanish words total) Red beans and rice did not miss me at all. Sometimes it is easy to feel a bit neglected in the choices of body types for characters.

Marta said...

Hey, Brenna, thanks for dropping by! I'm glad you remembered that "flirting weight" line.

You can't mistake the cover art for the characters. There is more range in the actual characters, but the covers are designed to catch the eye immediately and most of the time, stock images are used. You'd be surprised just how hard it is to find stock photography images that fit a character.

Sookie Stackhouse is not "a skinny" and one of my fave kick-ass women is from an older mystery series, the hilarious Casey Jones books. I remember laughing at one line: "She's okay if you like them big and trashy and I do." Caridad Pineiro and Maria Lima both write paranormal books with Latina characters.

As to your Southern background, you should definitely pre-order a copy of Suzanne Johnson's upcoming urban fantasy, Royal Street, which takes place in New Orleans during Katrina.

Michelle Par said...

"I always like going into a series when when several books have been written, because I like to read one right after another. (I do the same thing with television shows"

This is SO me! I read too fast (and I HAVE to know WHAT HAPPENS!) that I need to wait until a series has several books (or each book finishes a story) until I read them. I also have fallen in love with Netflix streaming and all the tv shows they carry, so I can get into them. Right now we're watching "Better Off Ted." Such a great show, and it is really infuriating that something so clever and funny never really got a chance.

Marta said...

Hi, Michelle! One of my favorite writers comes out with a book in her series every few years. It terrible waiting sooo long. I started watching Buffy in reruns when a local station was having a marathon, and it was great seeing one episode after another. I'll check out Better-Off Ted on my Netflix. I love my Roku streamer.

Michelle Par said...

You wouldn't be talking about Diana Gabaldon, Marta, would you? Her stuff is so meaty that I can get by waiting a bit more patiently than usual. Interestingly enough, I purchased your first book I think before you had any of the others published, and then I think I found out about the second two at the same time, and then the fourth one not too long after that. They are mostly so self contained that I didn't have the nervous angst about waiting for the next installment. which I really appreciate. I imagine it must be a fine balance and a real skill to be able to do that, keep each story contained enough that there is a satisfying conclusion, and yet still have the larger story arc for the series. Your series is one of the few that have that feeling for me. Thanks!

Roku streamer? Sounds like a fun toy. I'm such an Apple fangirl that if I had the money, I'd go for the AppleTV. (Well, right behind an unlocked iPhone, a huge iPod and an iPad) :D

Marta said...

Hi, Michelle -- good guess, but I was actually talking about Julia Spencer-Fleming, who writes one of my favorite mystery series.

I tried to write each novel as a stand-alone because I never planned for a series. I sold the first book, not expecting to write a sequel, then I got asked for one, and another...so I didn't want to leave readers hanging. I'd probably approach things differently if I knew I had a series.