Thursday, April 12, 2012

Guest Blog & Constest with Lynda Hilborn, Author of THE VAMPIRE SHRINK


"...a whirlwind of passion, mystery, and danger. But this tough and funny heroine--who doesn't do damsel in distress--is about to turn the vampire-meets-girl convention on its head."
--Anna Vivian, Anna's Book Blog

"Hot, sizzling, sexy with a hero to die for . . . a great new take on the vampire genre. I highly recommend this book to all readers of vampire romance and urban fantasy."
-- Night Owl Reviews


Lynda Hilburn, author and longtime blogger at Paranormality, has had the opportunity to do what so many authors wish we could: she's revised her debut novel, gotten a great new cover, and republished The Vampire Shrink, which came out on April 3. I have a special fondness for Lynda because she always welcomed first-time novelists on her blog -- and I was one of them. I had the pleasure of reading her very smexy paranormal when it was first released, and I'm dying of curiosity to know her route to re-releasing it.

Original Cover Art
Lynda will be giving away TWO COPIES OF THE VAMPIRE SHRINK! Read to the end of the post for entry details.
SUMMARY: Kismet Knight, PhD, doesn't believe in the paranormal. She especially doesn't believe in vampires, but she begins to wise up when she is introduced to a handsome man named Devereux who claims to be 800 years old. Kismet doesn't buy his vampire story, but she also can't explain why she has such odd reactions and feelings when he is near.
Then a client almost completely drained of blood staggers into her waiting room and two angry men force their way into her office, causing her to consider the possibility that she has run afoul of a vampire underworld. Enter FBI profiler Alan Stevens, who warns her that vampires are very real, and one is a murderer—a murderer who is after her.
Now, let's welcome Lynda!

*************************************

Thanks so much, Marta, for letting me talk about the release of the Book That Wouldn’t Die (actually it’s The Vampire Shrink), and what it’s like to be able to rewrite and expand the book years after its original pub date.

Marta said she revisited her characters recently when she updated her first book for audio, so she can relate to what an exceptional opportunity it is to get a “do-over.”

Kindle Edition
Shrink was first released as a trade paperback from a small publisher in 2007, then later – because my agent had been able to retain the e-book rights – I uploaded the digital version myself to Amazon.com, etc., where it shocked me by becoming a bestseller. That stroke of good luck got me a new agent and a worldwide, 3-book deal with Quercus Books, UK and Sterling Publishing, USA.

By the time the book went through editor Jo Fletcher’s “suggestions,” (she’s so great to work with), the manuscript had been revised many, many times. The best part of that whole process was being able to take some of the reader feedback I’d gotten over the years and make changes.

One of the biggest complaints I got from readers was that it took my psychologist heroine, Kismet Knight, too long to accept the reality of vampires. Some readers wanted her to get with the program right away.

After thinking about that issue and discussing it with my editor and critique partners, I came away convinced that my scientifically minded psychologist would simply exhaust every rational explanation for as long as possible before giving into an alternate view. She is based on me, and the story was inspired by actual client sessions in my private practice as a psychotherapist, so I was heavily influenced by my own reactions to hearing tales of the fantastic from my clients.

So, I didn’t alter the timeline all that much in that regard (just a little), but I did make some other changes which give support to Kismet’s “stubborn refusal” to believe.

And I was also able to add a lot of new material and to fill in some missing information.

The entire experience has been great, and as long as my clients come up with new dysfunctions to trigger ideas for me, Kismet’s vampires (and who knows what else?) will continue to show up on her couch.

 *************************************

Book 2 in the series!
Thanks so much, Lynda! To learn more about Lynda and her writing, visit her website and her blog.  Friend Lynda on Facebook and follow her on Twitter. Buy the book on Amazon.

"Until Death Do Us Part," a tiny Kismet story that takes place right after the events of The Vampire Shrink, is free on Smashwords now and will be free on Amazon.com soon.

CONTEST: To enter to win one of TWO COPIES of The Vampire Shrink, just leave a comment for Lynda or tell me what Issues you would have if you were a paranormal or that you think a paranormal character might have. Me, I'd never want to be a vampire because I get depressed in gray weather. I think the technical term is Big Whiny California Baby Syndrome.

The contest runs through April 20 and winners will be selected by random draw. I'm pretty sure Lynda's restricting it to the US, but I'll check with her.

Here's a book trailer of The Vampire Shrink.




GRATUITOUS VIDEOS OF THE DAY

Since Lynda's book features several smexy men for Kismet, the theme is smexy men. This one has really fun editing.





11 comments:

Stephanie said...

If I was a vampire, even though I would get used to drinking blood, I would miss eating my favorite foods.

Skk25@aol.com

Marta said...

Hi, Stephanie! Oh, it would be so sad to give up chocolate. What would be the good of living forever without it?

The Style Vamp said...

If I was a paranormal, let's say "Fae" I'm 100% in Fae mode (lol). I would have trust issues, because what you see and hear is never on the up and up with the Fae. I personally think that would drive me batty never knowing who you can trust.. ;/

Lorelei said...

Ooo, what a thought, to give up chocolate over blood... Hmmm, I may have to re-think that idea!

I saw this book's debute on another blog and thought it sounded really good. I hadn't caught on that it was re-written and so forth. Excellent idea for a paranormal romance book. I've got it down on my wish list--if I don't win a copy, that is (^;

Thanks, Marta, for bringing this new author (to me) on your blog. And I sure will check out her blog!

Marta said...

-Hey, Vamp, yep, the fae have thousands of years of secrets!
-Lorelei, I agree that a shrink for vamps is a clever concept. They'd have major issues and need someone to talk to...and drink from!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Stephanie! Thanks for commenting. I agree that giving up my favorite food would be the hardest part of being a bloodsucker. I guess I'd have to get creative with hot and cold recipes for blood!

The Style Vamp: I know what you mean about the fae! They're tricky. But then so are vampires! Thanks for stopping by.

Lorelei: I hope you get a chance to read The Vampire Shrink and that you like it if you do! It has been such a work of the heart for me.

Thanks so much for having me, Marta! I'm at the Romantic Times Convention and things are crazy. And very loud!
Hugs, Lynda

p.s. I have to post as anonymous because this computer won't recognize my usual sign-in info.

Tore said...

I wouldn't want to be a vampire if I had to drink blood or kill someone. Please enter me in contest. Tore923@aol.com

Michelle Par said...

I've actually thought about this. : D I think that, were I a vampire, I might go a bit crazy from all the memories. "Living" so long, one's mental capacities, if they stayed rather 'human,' would get overwhelmed by the sheer number of experiences one would have. On the other side of that, boredom merging into depression would be par for the course, I would think, since an eternal existence would mean that a vampire would have done almost everything there is to do, and not have anything new and stimulating in their 'lives.'

Rachel at thejeepdiva said...

I think I would be worried if I were a paranormal. "Does that make me bad?"

rachel at thejeepdiva dot com

Marta said...

Hi, Lynda, thanks for dropping by!

-Tore, you could be one of those vegetarian vampires who never gets invited to the cool parties!

-Michelle, you've hit the nail on the head. Your point is exactly why Lynda's worldbuilding makes so much sense.

-Rachel, maybe you'd be a worried werewolf, always chewing on things!

Cathie said...

I'd miss food, the sun, shopping at stores that aren't open 24/7, having a pet because they'd all hiss at me and run away of I were a creature of the night.

lovemybabysquid@yahoo.com