Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Cat Winter's Debut, DARK COMPANION Nomination, and Scariest Dogs!



I've been online pals with Catherine Karp of Suburban Vampire for years now, and I was thrilled when she sold her In the Shadow of Blackbirds, her first YA gothic thriller, under the pen-name Cat Winters. Congrats, Cat! When I visited fantastic Powell's Books in Beaverton, Oregon on my tour, I had the chance to meet Cat in person and talk to her about her new book. She also shared the gorgeous, spooky cover with me, and I've been waiting until it was official to share it with you. I love the ghostly image over the girl's shoulder, and I love seance stories. Here's the summary:
In 1918, the world seems on the verge of apocalypse. Americans roam the streets in gauze masks to ward off the deadly Spanish influenza, and the government ships young men to the front lines of a brutal war, creating an atmosphere of fear and confusion. Sixteen-year-old Mary Shelley Black watches as desperate mourners flock to séances and spirit photographers for comfort, but she herself has never believed in ghosts. During her bleakest moment, however, she’s forced to rethink her entire way of looking at life and death, for her first love—a boy who died in battle—returns in spirit form. But what does he want from her?

Featuring haunting archival early-twentieth-century photographs, this is a tense, romantic story set in a past that is eerily like our own time. 
In the Shadow of Blackbirds will be published by Amulet Books in April 2013. I'll definitely have Cat come here for a Q&A to tell us about her Victorian-era story. You can learn more about Cat and her writing at her author website, or at Corsets, Cutlasses, & Candlesticks, her new group blog.

Cat is abandoning Suburban Vampire, and moving onto her other sites. I'd forgotten that the title of her first blog was because she's written a manuscript about a suburban vampire. Well, the blog served its purpose, but its always a little sad when favorite sites are left to evaporate in the ether. I wish Cat all the best and I'll now favorite her new group blog site!


Some Great News!

Dark Companion, my YA gothic, has been nominated for the American Library Association's Best Fiction for Young Adults of 2012! I'm thrilled that my work has been nominated for such a prestigious award.

I have some other great news, and I'm still waiting for permission to share it. It's fun and funny stuff. If you prefer something more serious, I'm featured today on J.M. Blackman's site as part of her "Minority Report" series, discussing the lack of diversity in speculative fiction.
Although the publishing world is in culturally rich Manhattan, publishers, editors, and agents are not a diverse group. Those who go into publishing as a career must have an education and the financial stability to survive in such a poorly paid profession in such an expensive city.[read more]

Contest Winner

The winner of my contest for 666 Park Lane by Gabriella Pierce is

Michelle Par

Congrats, Michelle, and send me an email with your address, so I can send the book to you! I do know that Michelle lives in Minnesota, and my best friend is from Minnesota, which is why I always have characters from Duluth!




Oooh, SCARY!!!

Everyone is named after felines today. Kat Zand sent me a link to The Top 10 Freakiest Scariest Halloween Dog Costumes. I actually wasn't going to click on the link, but then I did...and burst out laughing. Some of these are truly freaky. The Husband says that I shouldn't have a pet just to laugh at it, but I think he's wrong and now I'm going to start cogitating on costumes for my beasts.


GRATUITOUS VIDEOS OF THE DAY

The theme today is videos set to classic rock songs. Enjoy!




5 comments:

Danielle said...

'American Library Association's Best Fiction for Young Adults of 2012' - what a *delicious* mouthful!

Congrats and well deserved :)

Marta said...

In words that you can understand, Dani, I was gobsmacked! So glad that some readers appreciated my gothic story of a damaged girl. Hope all is going well Down Under, bookwise, because I know you're on Very Important Advisory Committees for Aussie novels.

Cat Winters said...

Thanks so much for sharing news about IN THE SHADOW OF BLACKBIRDS, Marta. And congratulations on that ALA nomination! I'm so happy for you and DARK COMPANION!

Michelle Par said...

I echo what Danielle says. Congratulations on the nomination! The book certainly does deserve it. It was such a great read.

Cat, your book looks wonderful, too. It sounds like a great period piece.

Thank you, again, Marta, for picking my name out of the hat! I'm getting some of the most fun reads from you! *happy dance*

Marta said...

Cat, I'm delighted that your book is coming out! I have a thing for seance stories. Keep in touch with your news!

Michelle, thanks for the kind words! I sometimes worry that because I write humor, people assume that I'm not serious about writing. Oh, la!