Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Covers: Who's Looking at Whom?



Dark Companion was mentioned in the Wall St. Journal on Friday in a story about self-publishing leading to traditional publishing deals. This impressed my parents. The only other thing about my writing that's impressed them is that I got a few of my books published in Russia.

Supposedly, my books are also published in Hungary, but no one has ever actually found evidence of this. My old college roomie just sent me this pic when she spotted my book at her local supermarket, a place called Tom Thumb in Texas. It's right there will the 50 Shades books!


Zita, a sharp-eyed regular reader, noticed that the cover art for Denise Grover Swank's Here, the first of her On the Other Side series, looks a lot like the Dark Companion cover. It's another girls/trees cover and I really like it.
Sixteen year old Julia Phillips buries herself in guilt after killing her best friend Monica in a car accident. Julia awoke in the hospital with a broken leg, a new talent for drawing and false memories of the accident, in which she dies and Monica lives. The doctors attribute this to her head injury, but no one can explain how a bracelet engraved with her name ended up at the scene of the accident. A bracelet no one has ever seen before.
Classmate Evan Whittaker paid Julia no attention before the accident, let alone after. Now suddenly he’s volunteering to tutor her and offering to drive her home. She can't ignore that his new obsession started after his two-day disappearance last week and that he wears a pendant she’s been drawing for months. When the police show up one night looking for Evan, he begs Julia to run with him, convincing her that Monica is still alive. Julia agrees to go, never guessing where he’s really from.
Denise self-published this and several other novels, and I think she did a great job with the cover art. According to her blog, she's just landed an agent. Woohoo for Denise!

Are we seeing a new trend of seeing covers?



GRATUITOUS VIDEOS OF THE DAY

The theme is: eyes.



Okay, I hate this song, but I must be loyal to the theme.


I have that special kind of hate for this song that's totally tangled with a weird fondness for it. I'm sure the Germans have a word for things like that.

6 comments:

Denise Grover Swank said...

Thank you for taking part in my cover reveal! Nathalia Suellen created the covers for HERE and THERE and she did a fantastic job! You can find out more about her here: http://intro.ladysymphonia.com/

Marta said...

Hi, Denise! Thanks for visiting my blog and also sharing Nathalia's web address. Her work is wonderful! If you can manage to write so many novels while taking care of six kids, no one else has any excuse not to write. Best of luck with your books and keep in touch!

Lori T. said...

Do you ever get excited when you see your books in a bookstore/grocery store/anywhere? I would imagine a moment like that to be completely surreal.

I do like the recent trend of "eye" catching covers, although, it can be a tad bit creepy. I'm really looking forward to UNRAVEL ME and just read about NOBODY today.

Marta said...

Hi, Lori! I probably get more excited when pals send me photos of my books on display than when I see them myself. I know that doesn't make sense. I like the eye covers and remember one last year with almost a sugary frosty coating on the lips and eyelashes that was quite interesting. I like Unravel Me's cover quite a bit.

Allan said...

Good post written. Can I get these images to be pasted on the Kindle covers?

Regards

.A-

Anonymous said...

Marta: Don't change a thing....I love your blog and look forward to reading the latest......don't always have the time to comments but want you to know!